In October 1884 the vestry of the Holy Sepulchre parish was notified that there was an allotment available on Mt Roskill Rd (now Dominion Rd). In 1885 James Paice donated the land where the original wooden part of the church was built in two months at a cost of five hundred pounds. In 1886 the timber nave was built in time for the opening of the General Synod on February 13, 1886, at which Bishop Harper officiated. Arthur Wilson, the architect, designed it in the Gothic revival style then current. Only the nave of his proposed design was built, the transepts and chancel were to be added later. In 1886 The Rev'd E J Philips became the first appointed in a clergy that had belonged to the Holy Sepulchre for many years. He established a night school for which he built a small building (now the hall) at his own cost. In 1887 the New Zealand economy experienced a downturn and the parish could no longer pay Fr Philips a stipend. After him there was no resident clergyman, adding little stability to the church. In 1890 St Alban's became part of the United Parishes of St Barnabas and St Alban's but was still not autonomous. In 1895 the Ladies Guild, through innovative fundraising efforts, acquired a new carpet, altar rails, chairs and other church furniture. Specific projects like the "harmonium fund" and a "building fund" were also established. In 1904 December The Rev'd Henry Barnard Wingfield was appointed priest. An architect in private life, he designed a Maori church at Te Kapa, St Peter's Te Kopuru, St Bede's Otorahanga and St Alban's Waingaro. He had other plans than following Wilson's concept of a gothic revival church built of wood: he embarked on a design for a Romanesque church in brick. Hence the peculiar fusion you see in Alban's Church today. Unfortunately, all this was a costly undertaking. The wonderful furniture was contributed by people in the parish. The windows, 14 coloured lead lights, an altar rail of polished kauri supported by heavy brass standards, the brass cross on the Altar, the prayer desk and the carpet and tiles for the chancel all were donated by people in the parish. In Sept 1907, when New Zealand was granted Dominion status, Mt Roskill Rd became Dominion Rd, changing St Alban's address too. In 1909, with Fr Wingfield as Vicar, St Alban's became a separate parish. In 1912, 28th May a new brick portion of the church was dedicated. In 1915, March a mission chapel named after St Chad was opened in Sandringham, a mission district of St Alban's. An organ was purchased and they had communion once a month. In 1918, the horrific effects of the war hit the church and the church organist and some choir members enlisted. In 1918 three men of the St Albans' scouts were killed in action, and the scout leader, Mr L Reid, returned wounded. In 1922 the memorial tower was finally built, the delay being caused by the financial problems that continued to plague the church in the post-war years. It was intended as a "Monument of Thanksgiving for Victory and Peace." It couldn't be built in 1919 for lack of finance. The 4000 pound amount required was clearly impossible, so it wasn't started until March 1922. In 1922 Miss Jackson was the first woman elected to the St Alban's vestry. On April 24 1924 the tower was completed and the bishop dedicated it on October 14.